Was Jesus Christ a Jew? Several answers in the Bible tell us and history as well that the Redeemer Jesus Christ was not a Jew. Thus the answer is NO. If Jesus Christ was a Jew HE is another “Jesus” for sure.
To avoid a senseless discussion Jesus Christ is called “King of the Jews” by Pilate. True, but does that prove anything? Did Jesus Christ ever introduce Himself as a Jew? It also applies to the Samaritan woman at the well not knowing, thought Jesus Christ belonged to the Jews.
1/– Jesus Christ never introduced Himself as a Jew,
2/– Humanly speaking, Jesus Christ was of the tribe of Judah and of the generation of David. Of course, so was His mother Mary and His guardian Joseph. The generation of David was a particular lineage in the House of Judah. Matthew 1 and Luke 1. Mary and Joseph had to travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem to be taxed.
- Luke 2:4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judæa, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he (=Joseph) was of the house and lineage of David)
3/– Matthew repeated what the prophets of God prophesied.
- Matthew 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He (=Jesus Christ) shall be called a Nazarene.
The word “nazar”, “nazarene”, in English means branch.
- Jeremiah 33:15, In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.
- Zechariah 6:12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:
4/– Although born in Bethlehem, Jesus Christ was brought up in Nazareth. The events, miracles, and His preaching of His Ministry for the greater part were in Galilee. The times Jesus Christ was in Jerusalem was during Passover to fulfill the law. It was then when Lord Jesus threw the tables of the money changers upside down. The third time He suffered and died for our sin and is risen indeed on the third day.
Jesus Christ was first brought to Pilate but then to Herod. And why was that? Because Jesus Christ never was an inhabitant of Judea but of Galilee.
- Luke 23:5-7 And they were the more fierce, saying, He stirreth up the people, teaching throughout all Jewry, beginning from Galilee to this place. 6/ When Pilate heard of Galilee, he asked whether the man were a Galilæan. 7/ And as soon as he knew that he belonged unto Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who himself also was at Jerusalem at that time.
5/– In the time of Esther, the Medio-Persian empire had 127 different provinces. The provinces extended from Greece to India, from Turkey to the Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean. That is quite an empire with a lot of different people. Everybody called themselves Jews. A great part of the people became Jews. All these people became mixed multitudes of different nationalities and perhaps races. Therefore it absolutely, nullifies that the Jews are a pure offspring of Abraham. It is nothing but a mixture.
Was the Blood of Jesus Christ mixed with that of other people? If that were so then the bloodline of Jesus Christ would not have been for 100% pure.
But the Blood of Jesus Christ that paid for our sin and saved us was 100% pure Blood. And because the Blood of Jesus Christ was and is still powerful it cannot be anything different than 100% pure Blood. The pure Blood shed on the cross is the pure Blood of the finished Work we can rest in. The 100% pure Blood that makes us righteous before God.
Truth through history. People who were not even Jews by birth became Jews because they were afraid.
- Esther 8:17 And in every province, and in because every city, whithersoever the king’s commandment and his decree came, the Jews had joy and gladness, a feast and a good day. And many of the people of the land became Jews; for the fear of the Jews fell upon them.
6/– Jesus Christ confronted the Jews. Matthew chapter 23 is the chapter of the woes.
- Matthew 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
- Matthew 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
- Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell.
The Jews are not his sheep that’s why they don’t hear His voice. The reason why the Jews do not believe is not because of their unbelief. It is simply because that they are not His sheep, to begin with.
- John 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
7/–If Jesus Christ was a Jew He would have had mixed blood. Jesus Christ from His mother’s side was of the pure blood of the line of David. Mary’s conception. Fully Man.
- Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me.
Jesus Christ from His Father’s side was Divine, of pure blood and of incorruptible seed. Fully God.
- Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
If Jesus Christ would have been born a Jew His Blood would have had no power at all. There would have been no salvation!
When Jesus Christ is the most important Person in our lives and our sin is paid for in full with His precious Blood, isn’t it equally important to know Who our Redeemer truly is?
When we want to praise and exalt the LORD isn’t this also one way to do this? Instead of holding on to the deception and propaganda of the Edomites (the modern Jews) that they are God’s people? And shouldn’t we stop identifying Jesus Christ as a Jew?
Do the roughly 17 million Jews in the world. qualify for the:
- “many nations”, Genesis 17:4-5,
- “into a multitude in the midst of the earth”, Genesis 48:16,
- “a multitude of nations”, Genesis 48:19?
Isaiah 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.
That new name we find in,
Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Does it take the readers out of their comfort zone? It sure did me! But because of God’s never-ending faithfulness and an abundance of His grace, I am blessed.
Jesus Christ a Jew?! No Way! No How!
Links to webpages for more detailed information.